Saturday, March 13, 2010

Uncle Sal and the Rare Rockers (Episode 134)

Uncle Sal climbed into the backseat of Giacomo's recently purchased atomic orange AMC Pacer. As he settled in behind Giacomo's new girlfriend Asia, he twisted his Taciturn Tomcat cuff links and said, "You two ready for the cooter turtle races?" Before either of them could answer, Uncle Sal cringed a little at the sound coming from the speakers. "The heck is this music you're playing? Sounds like four guys who just discovered instruments and amplifiers but never took any lessons. And is that a theremin I hear?"

Giacomo turned the volume knob so he wouldn't have to shout to be heard and said, "You remember Dean Koossen? I used to play baseball with him?"

"Yeah. Real twitchy kid? Always looked like he was swattin' flies only he could see?"

"That's the one. This is his band The Nose Tackles. He likes to call the band's sound alien hardcore. That's where the theremin comes in. I mean, the guys all grew up on punk, and they all like to play fast and loud, but they wanted to set themselves apart from other bands, you know. Well, I can't think of a better way for a band to set itself apart than to have a theremin in its lineup. That, and to sing all your songs about aliens and space. And it seems to be paying off for them too. Quite a few college radio stations have picked up the album. These guys have also been featured in a couple different indie music magazines. Plus, I heard they just booked a European tour for the fall."

Uncle Sal closed his eyes and leaned his head back toward the speakers. After a few moments, he opened his eyes and said, "Well, it's unique. I gotta give 'em that. And it ain't as bad as I thought when I first heard it. But I don't see too much special about the band. Ya ask me, it's only Dean's rage space band."

This episode featured:
Rogelio "Doctor" Hoovester as Uncle Sal
Ulric "The Dog" Entwhistle as Giacomo
Monica Moonves as Asia
and
Jellybean Merengue as the volume knob.

Tune in next week when Uncle Sal says, "Hey if I had some place to go, I wouldn't be in Cleveland."

No comments: