Sunday, September 7, 2008

Uncle Sal and the Forgotten Food (Episode 57)

Giacomo opened the door to Uncle Sal's place and said, "Oh, hi, Alice. Uncle Sal, I got your tickets for the dwarf rodeo." He put the tickets on the kitchen counter next to Uncle Sal's cerulean porkpie hat, then sniffed the air. "What is that you're cooking?"

"Scrapple."

"What on earth is scrapple?"

"It's pork mush. You know how they call hot dogs 'everything but the oink'? It's kind of like that. You cut off a slice, fry it up, then put some ketchup on it. Maybe serve it with some eggs. Friend of mine name of Jeb Harrell is from Pennsylvania. Swears by the the stuff. Well, last time he went back there, I asked him to bring some back for me. he did, but then I stuck it in the freezer and kinda fergot about it. Every time he sees me, he asks if I cooked up the scrapple yet. I just seen him at the store, and of course he asked me again did I cook the scrapple. I told him no. He gets all upset. Tells me 'You've had that for how long now? You're the one asked me to bring it to you. I ain't never gonna bring you scrapple again.' So I told him I'd come home and fry it immediately. Sounded pretty good to me, anyway. I invited Alice over so she could try some. You want a slice or two?"

Giacomo answered, "Sure, I'll have some."

Uncle Sal served up the scrapple and eggs. Giacomo put some ketchup on it, took a bite and said, "Mmmm. It's better than I expected. I'm glad he convinced you to cook it."

"Yeah, it tastes good, and it'll get Jeb off my back. I can't believe how he got all bent outta shape about it. I guess the forgotten scrapple roils the Harrell."

This episode featured:
Wendell Wimpleton as Giacomo
Frieda Flanagan as Alice
Kip Crum as Uncle Sal
and
Jellybean Merengue as the ketchup.

Tune in next week when Uncle Sal says, "I ain't your friend, palooka."

No comments: