Sunday, December 28, 2008

Uncle Sal and the Table Tennis Tourney (Episode 73)

Giacomo entered Uncle Sal's house and said, "Love the Buckeyes jersey, Uncle Sal. Who's number thirty-four?"

"It's Maurice Wells, king of the one-yard run."

"So, what's so important that you needed me to come over?"

"Well, I got this big ping-pong tournament comin' up, and I need to practice."

They went downstairs to the basement and Uncle Sal picked up his Yosemite Sam paddle and served the ball to Giacomo for a little warm-up before they began playing.

"So, are you playing singles or doubles in this tournament?"

"Doubles."

"Who's your partner?"

"Well, that's just it. I've asked two different guys to be my partner and they've both said they'll do it. There's Del Wifflespoon. The guy can put spin on the ball like you wouldn't believe. I ain't kiddin'. He can land the ball on the center line and spin it off the edge of the table. Then there's Ty Sotter. He's all defense. He can return anything hit to him. The kinda guy you hate playing against."

"But why did you ask both of them? I mean, it's not like you can substitute in ping-pong."

"I know that. First, I asked both of 'em because either one of 'em would be a great partner. But they're both unreliable. Del, he likes to drink. Knowin' him, he might get lit up day before the tourament. So it's anybody's guess as to whether he'll want to get up. Ty, he just forgets things. Don't matter if he writes 'em down or not. Just forgets. Way I see it, at least one of 'em will show up to help me win this tournament. To me, it don't matter one way or another. I'll be there come Del or Ty Sotter."

This episode featured:
Earl E. Byrd as Giacomo
Hank Ershif as Uncle Sal
and
Jellybean Merengue as the Yosemite Sam paddle.

Tune in next week when Uncle Sal says, "He stole my gorilla suit!"

No comments: