Saturday, January 29, 2011

Uncle Sal and the Protean Performer (Episode 180)

Giacomo climbed into the Dodge Dart and said, "Thanks for driving to this burlesque and roller derby event. I can't believe you've never gone before."

"Yeah, I know. Two of the things I like most in life. Guess it always snuck up on me before, but this time I knew I had to leave my calendar open for it." Uncle Sal reached into the pocket of his tangerine guayabera shirt and removed two strips of dried meat. "Rabbit jerky?"

Giacomo reached for one and said, "Never had rabbit jerky before." He took a bite and washed it down with a sip of his energy drink. "Pretty good."

"Hey, I ever tell ya about the time I managed a guy who was an emcee for burlesque events?"

"No, I'm sure I never heard this one."

"Cyril 'Hunky' Hunkerton. One of the funniest guys I ever met, but he was so much more than just a comedian. He was almost like a one-man variety show. Well, I'd been managing him for a while when sump'n came along that was right up his alley. It was a variety show like ya never saw before. Jugglers, comedians, a live band, bellydancers, you name it." Uncle Sal took a gulp from his cup of iced tea. "Was run by an Englishman name of Lindsey Pennyfeather. Well, I went to see this Pennyfeather and let him know about his new employee. I sat down and told him I had a guy that was a knife-thrower, tightwire-walker, comedian, emcee. I ain't kiddin' ya, it took me fifteen minutes just to run down everything Hunky could do."

Giacomo told Uncle Sal to turn right at the next light.

"I got done with all of that, tellin' him I gotta variety show's dream, and he can have the guy for the right price. You know what he did?"

"No. What?"

"He just looked at me and said, 'That's all splendid, but can your Hunky do the bogs?'"

This episode featured:
Saul Brothers as Giacomo
Rufus Tomaszewski as Uncle Sal
and
Jellybean Merengue as the rabbit jerky.

Tune in next week when Uncle Sal says, "I'm sorry, I'm on my wine break."

No comments: