Saturday, December 19, 2009

Uncle Sal and the Reliable Remedy (Episode 122)

Uncle Sal answered his phone and heard Alice sounding like she had gargled gravel. "Great googily moogily Alice! You sound terrible! What on earth happened to you?"

She cleared her throat and said, "I know we were supposed to meet for breakfast, but I think I'm going to have to pass today. Our company Christmas party was last night. And I swore I'd only have one glass of egg nog. Which I did. But then I followed that with some rum. And some wine. And a little vodka."

"No wonder you sound so rough. Sounds like you need my no-fail hangover cure."

Alice exhaled loudly into her phone and said, "Do you really need to talk so loud? Everyone has a no-fail hangover cure. What's yours?"

Uncle Sal popped a piece of peanut brittle into his mouth and after crunching it right by the phone, plucked a crumb of it from his hot tamale sweater vest. "It don't sound very appetizing, but it works. It's dill pickle brine and pear nectar."

Alice made a gagging sound and Uncle Sal went on with his explanation. "I came up with it when I was a student at ol' Cotton U. I had a night just like you had and when I woke up in the mornin, my head hurtin so bad it felt like I's head-buttin a brick wall every time I moved. Well, like I said I was a college student. All I had in my fridge was some dill pickles, well, one dill pickle in brine. And some pear nectar. I figgered I had nothin to lose but my hangover, so I mixed them two things and drank it down."

"And that worked for you?"

"It ain't my no-fail hangover cure for nothin'. Since that day, I always have them two things in my fridge. The concoction'll either make you feel better, or it'll make you toss up whatever's makin ya feel so bad. Giacomo swears by it. Whenever he's had too much he asks me to whip that up for him."

"Really? You mean..."

"That's right. Whenever Giacomo's tied one on too heavily, he drinks my dill pear."

This episode featured:
Tom Collins as Uncle Sal
Brandy Alexander as Alice
and
Jellybean Merengue as the peanut brittle.

Tune in next week when Uncle Sal says, "The world is your oyster, but you're allergic to shellfish."

No comments: