Sunday, July 27, 2008

Uncle Sal and the Ad Wizard (Episode 9)

Uncle Sal opened the door whose window was painted with Heard Advertising Agency in bold red letters. He strolled to the office of Harrison Heard Jr. and poked his head inside.

"Harry, aren't you ready to go to lunch?"

Harry drummed his fingers on his desk blotter. "No, I'm not. Close the door. There's something I want to talk to you about."

As Uncle Sal walked to the door, he said, "Couldn't we talk over a nice pastrami on toasted rye? With a pickle on the side?"

"No, I don't want to talk about this at the deli."

Uncle Sal sat facing Harry and smoothed his avocado-colored robe.

"We went to the reading of my dad's will yesterday, and my dad bequeathed the business to Harvey. Do you believe that? I'm the one that's here twelve hours a day busting my hump. I'm the one that came up with that ad campaign for Spud's Beer. That one destroyed. It put them back on the map. I mean, let's face it. Most people had forgotten about Spud's before my ad campaign. And my dad wants to give the business to my twitchy, nervous brother? Have you seen the way his eyes are always darting back and forth?" Harry lowered his voice to a whisper, "I think he's on drugs."

"That's what you want to talk to me about? What for? What can I do about it?"

"Can't you talk to your lawyer friend?"

"Well, sure. I can talk to him whenever I want, but I don't see what good it'll do you."

Harry stared at the pen that served as a bridge between his two index fingers as Sal continued, "He can't go back in time and change your old man's will. Seems to me like the squirrelly Heard gets the firm."

This episode featured
Buck Naked as Uncle Sal
Santos Rodriquez as Harry Heard Jr.
and
Jellybean Merengue as the desk blotter

Tune in next week when Uncle Sal says, "I think you heard me just fine, Punchy."

[1 October 2007]

No comments: