Sunday, July 27, 2008

Uncle Sal and the Sasquatch Sighting (Episode 37)

Uncle Sal walked into the barber shop and hung his copper bowler hat on the hat rack by the door. He had just settled into the barber chair with the apron fastened around his neck when his old friend Clyde MacDowell walked in.

"What are you grinnin' about, Clyde?"

"You know that guy, Vic Gaspard?"

"Sure, I know him. We go way back," Sal replied.

"Well, I just ran into his son Bobby and you're never gonna believe what happened. Seems the young Gaspard was out hiking one day and he came across a Sasquatch."

"Aw, what a buncha baloney! Ain't no such thing as a Sasquatch."

"Yeah, that's what Bobby Gaspard used to think. Like I said, he was out hiking, and he stopped for a minute to eat one of them energy bars. You know the things kinda like chewing on a used tire, but they're supposed to be really good for you? Well, as he's sitting there eating the energy bar, the Sasquatch just came up and asked him if he had an extra energy bar. Well, you can imagine Gaspard's surprise. Here he's out walking and not only does he find a Sasquatch, he finds one that speaks to him. In English."

Uncle Sal waved his hand, dismissing Clyde's story.

"Hear me out, Sal. I ain't got to the best part yet. Well, that ol' Sasquatch didn't even bother to take the wrapper off the energy bar. He just shoved the thing in his mouth and walked away."

"I'll believe it when I see it."

"See it you can my, old friend, next time you run into Bobby Gaspard. He showed me the picture on his cell phone."

Uncle Sal merely chuckled. "Boy, did he pull one over on you. I met kids less gullible than you."

"What are you saying? You don't believe me even though I saw the picture with my own eyes?"

"I ain't saying I don't believe you. I'm saying I don't believe Bobby Gaspard. Why, his old man once told me he found a mermaid in the community pool. If he's anything like his daddy, then he's got a gift for fiction."

"So you don't believe anything I just told you?"

"No, course I don't. First off, ain't no such thing as Sasquatch. But more than that, Bobby's all bull and a Gaspard, Clyde."

This episode featured
Odell Funk as Uncle Sal
Roscoe Horn as Clyde MacDowell
and
Jellybean Merengue as the apron.

Tune in next week when Uncle Sal says, "Right in the lumberyard."

[22 April 2008]

No comments: